聽力測驗主要是測量考生在大學校園環境的英文聽力能力，因此考題內容都跟校園生活有關。考試內容主要分兩種，一種是校園對話，校園對話包括教授和學生的一對一會面對談或是學生和學校服務組織 (像是宿舍單位) 的對話。另一種是學術演講，通常是教授課堂講課，演講內容包括人文、藝術、科學等。針對這兩種主題，考題方向都會要求你能夠了解主旨、細節、說話者的觀點或態度，甚至是從聽力內容推論出沒有講得很明顯的正確資訊等。 校園對話會有2~3段，學術演講部分則較多篇，共4~6篇。
主題涵蓋廣闊，包含人文、科學、藝術、生物、天文等。題目有點像閱讀部分，但用字稍微簡單一點，題目像是: 美國偵探小說的演變 (人文)、冰河時代 (地質)、橡樹的成長 (生物)、出入口貿易 (經濟)、民眾閱讀報紙的習慣 (新聞)等。(題型範例)
- 主旨題 (Gist-purpose Questions): 對話主要在討論什麼事情?(題型範例)
- 細節題 (Detail Questions)： 根據對話內容，選擇對的敘述(題型範例1)(題型範例2)
- 理解說話者觀點 (Understanding the Speaker’s Attitude Questions)： 由說話者態度理解論點(題型範例)
- 理解說話目的 (Understanding the Function of What is Said Questions): 他說這句話的目的是什麼?(題型範例)
- 內容主旨題 (Gist-Content Questions) : 這篇演講主題是什麼?(題型範例)
- 細節題 (Detail Questions)： 根據演講內容，選擇對的敘述 (題型範例1)(題型範例2)
- 理解組織結構 (Understanding Organization Questions): 演講者為什麼要提到或討論這個東西?(題型範例)
- 推論題 (Making Inference Questions): 根據對話，推論演講者意思或態度(題型範例)
- 內在關係題 (Connecting Content Questions): 根據演講內容給予的(多個)訊息判斷演講者討論某個東西的涵義?(題型範例)
Directions: The Listening section measures your ability to understand conversations and lectures in English. In this sample, you will read one conversation and one lecture and answer questions after each conversation or lecture. The questions typically ask about the main idea and supporting details. Some questions ask about a speaker’s purpose or attitude. Answer the questions based on what is stated or implied by the speakers. Most questions are worth one point. If a question is worth more than one point, it will have special directions that indicate how many points you can receive. In an actual test, you would be able to take notes while you listened and use your notes to help you answer the questions. Your notes would not be scored.
(來源/Source: ETS 官方網站/ETS Official Site: https://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/SampleQuestions.pdf)
校園對話 : “Listen to a conversation between a student and her basketball coach and then answer the questions.” (學生和籃球教練的對話)
1.主旨題 (Gist-purpose Questions): 對話主要在討論什麼事情?
➤ What are the speakers mainly discussing?
- a.How the woman should prepare for the next game
- b.The woman’s responsibilities as team captain
- c.Things that happened while the woman was away
- d.The style of the new team uniforms
2.細節題 (Detail Questions)：根據對話內容，選擇對的敘述
➤ What are the speakers mainly discussing?
- a.The coach
- b.The captain of the team
- c.A former player
- d.A group of basketball fans
3.細節題 (Detail Questions)：根據對話內容，選擇對的敘述
➤ There are two answers for the next question. Mark two answers. Why is the woman surprised to learn that she has been chosen as the new team captain?
- a.She is not the best player on the team.
- b.Her teammates did not tell her about the decision
- c.She does not have many friends on the team.
- d.She has missed a lot of practices.
4.理解說話者觀點 (Understanding the Speaker’s Attitude)：藉由說話者態度理解論點
➤ Read part of the conversation again. Then answer the question. (Female student) I’m sorry I had to miss practice, though. I feel bad about that. (Male coach) Family’s very important. What does the man mean when he says: “Family’s very important.”
- a. He hopes the woman’s family is doing well.
- b.He would like to meet the woman’s family.
- c.The woman should spend more time with her family.
- d.The woman had a good reason for missing practice.
5.理解說話目的 (Understanding the Function of What is Said): 他說這句話的目的是什麼?
➤ Why does the coach say: “Good. That’s all the news there is. I think that’s it for now.”
- a.He wants to know if the woman understood his point.
- b.He wants the woman to act immediately.
- c.He is preparing to change the topic.
- d.He is ready to end the conversation.
學術演講：“Listen to part of a lecture in a literature class.”(文學課演講)
*更詳細對話內容，請參考ETS網站: https://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/SampleQuestions.pdf )
6.內容主旨題 (Gist-Content) : 這篇演講主題是什麼?
➤ What is the lecture mainly about?
Earth is a target in a cosmic shooting gallery, subject to random violent events that were unsuspected a few decades ago.
Incorrect choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information.
- a. A comparison of two types of detective novels
- b. Ways in which detective novels have changed over time
- c. The Moonstone as a model for later detective novels
- d. Flaws that can be found in the plot of The Moonstone
7. 細節題 (Detail Questions)：根據演講內容，選擇對的敘述
➤ In what way is The Moonstone different from earlier works featuring a detective?
- a. In its unusual ending
- b. In its unique characters
- c. In its focus on a serious crime
- d. In its greater length
8.細節題 (Detail Questions)：根據演講內容，選擇對的敘述
➤ According to the professor, what do roses in The Moonstone represent?
- a. A key clue that leads to the solving of the mystery
- b. A relief and comfort to the detective
- c. Romance between the main characters
- d. Brilliant ideas that occur to the detective
理解組織結構 (Understanding Organization Questions): 演講者為什麼要提到或討論這個東西?
➤ Why does the professor mention a smeared bit of paint in a doorway in The Moonstone?
- a. To describe a mistake that Sergeant Cuff has made
- b. To show how realistically the author describes the crime scene
- c. To exemplify a pattern repeated in many other detective stories
- d. To illustrate the superior techniques used by the police
10.推論題 (Making Inference Questions): 根據對話，推論演講者意思或態度
➤ What can be inferred about the professor when he says this: “Uh, it’s hard at this juncture to read this novel and realize that no one had ever done that before, because it all seems so strikingly familiar.”
- a. He is impressed by the novel’s originality.
- b. He is concerned that students may find the novel difficult to read.
- c. He is bored by the novel’s descriptions of ordinary events.
- d. He is eager to write a book about a less familiar subject.
11.內在關係題 (Connecting Content Questions): 根據演講內容給予的(多個)訊息判斷演講者討論某個東西的涵義?
➤ What does the professor imply when he says this: “. . . well, let me try to give you a sense of who Sergeant Cuff is, by first describing the regular police.”
- a. Sergeant Cuff is unlike other characters in The Moonstone.
- b. The author’s description of Sergeant Cuff is very realistic.
- c. Sergeant Cuff learned to solve crimes by observing the regular police.
- d. Differences between Sergeant Cuff and Sherlock Holmes are hard to describe.